Wednesday 17 August 2011

Light and Latitude

While thinking about this assignment I have become more aware of changes in the light, that, of course, is the object here! (and if I didn’t I would probably have been wasting my time).  We were recently on holiday in Cambridge, and have just driven back north. I was struck by the change in quality of the light which seemed more than simply due to the time of day. 350 miles, mainly north and a little bit west. Maybe part of the perceived change was emotional as I was going home. 


To try and clarify this I looked out pictures taken at much the same time of day, one near Cambridge and the others at the Scottish Border. There was, however also a difference in height, as most of Norfolk is near to sea level, while the Borders are definitely not! 

Southern Light.

Castle Acre Castle. ISO 100, f/13, 74 mm efl, 1/50 sec


 Northern Light.

Scottish Border Lookout. ISO 100, f/20, 156 mm efl, 1/25 sec

I have not played with them, other than to correct levels, and both were taken with the same camera and the same lens. The balance of foreground and background is also similar. So it is probably is the quality of the light that gives the marked difference.

A slight change in view gives my favourite. I must have driven up and down this road at least a hundred times, and it has always been misty, or raining, or snowing! and never conditions that one can easily stop and take a photo.
Scottish Borders. ISO 100, f/13, 112 mm efl, 1/25 sec.

No comments:

Post a Comment